Sequence Components not generated for all device

Hi,
After installing the latest release of open Historian, I activated the Bulk Sequence Calculator. However I am getting the sequence components for only one device, and for the other devices only SNR is being generated. Is there any specific parameters that need to be incorporated in the connection string while initialising the Bulk Sequence Calculator?

No - but it has to work hard to determine which A, B and C phasors constitute a “set” as the only thing it has to go on is the phasor label.

If these labels do not have any computer-comparable consistency, it will have trouble with the mapping.

Can you provide an example set of the A, B and C phasor labels that are not mapping as expected?

Thanks,
Ritchie

Hi Ritchie,
Thanks for your response. An example of a set of labels for A,B and C phasors for voltage is given below:

NOJA-182!NOJA_AZURE_TLS!EQL!SP!EGX_PDC!X22116-D-PM1 - Phase A Voltage
NOJA-182!NOJA_AZURE_TLS!EQL!SP!EGX_PDC!X22116-D-PM2 - Phase B Voltage
NOJA-182!NOJA_AZURE_TLS!EQL!SP!EGX_PDC!X22116-D-PM3 - Phase C Voltage

I suspect it would have little issue mapping those - are there any errors reported in the status log during the bulk sequence calculator initialization?

Thanks,
Ritchie

Yes Ritchie you are right. I am getting this error message during bulk sequence calculator initialization:

[4/20/2021 1:06:10 PM] [SEQUENCE_COMPS] ERROR: No inputs were configured. Cannot initialize adapter.

Is there any solution for this?

It appears that the adapter does not think it has any inputs. Following is the default filter expression for the bulk sequence calculator:

FILTER ActiveMeasurements WHERE SignalType LIKE '%PH%' AND Phase IN ('A', 'B', 'C') ORDER BY PhasorID

If you modify the filter expression to be in SQL syntax, can you run a query against the configuration database to see what records are returned? For example:

SELECT * FROM ActiveMeasurement WHERE SignalType LIKE '%PH%' AND Phase IN ('A', 'B', 'C') ORDER BY PhasorID

Thanks,
Ritchie

Yes I queried the above statement in SQL Server studio and it did not return any rows, although all the signals are present in openHistorian.

Check the Phase field for each phasor, these need to be set to A, B, or C - by default during device setup the phases are often set to +.

Can you please guide where I can check this?

One easy way is to run the openHistorian Manager (the UI application, not the web page), then navigate to “Browse Input Devices”. For a given device, there will be a link to the right of the device acronym called “Phasors” - click this link.

Here each phasor can be checked for an appropriate “Phase”, e.g., A, B, C, +, -, or 0.

To update the phase, select the desired row, select the proper “Phase” from the drop-down menu, then click “Save”.

After these phasor changes have been made, you can re-initialized bulk sequence calculator.

Thanks,
Ritchie

For proper Bulk Sequence Calculations, care must be taken to properly set the phase when a device is being added to the system.

Note that latest code, RC2, does a much better job at “guessing” at the proper phase based on the label. Also, if the end device supports the optional configuration frame 3 as part of IEEE C37.118-2011 - this frame includes the phase information - however, I have not found that many devices support this optional configuration frame.

Thanks a lot for your guidance. However even after changing them to their respective phases upon initialising the Bulk Sequence Calculator the sequence components are not being generated. One more thing I also tested this query on Sql Server which also did not return any rows:

SELECT * FROM ActiveMeasurement WHERE SignalType LIKE ‘%PH%’ ORDER BY PhasorID

Not sure why is this?

You should have lots of measurements for a query like SELECT * FROM ActiveMeasurement WHERE SignalType LIKE ‘%PH%’ ORDER BY PhasorID - basically two measurements, an angle and a magnitude, for each voltage and current phasor.

The measurement signal types are VPHA (voltage phase angle), VPHM (voltage phasor magnitude), IPHA (current phase angle), and IPHM (current phase magnitude).

If you have none of these signals, then there is a definite problem with the configuration.

Thanks,
Ritchie

I will check surely. But the fun part is that my python code is being able to access those signal types and generate outputs as desired. I need to check the query. However I am using this query in SQL:

use openHistorian;
SELECT * FROM ActiveMeasurement WHERE SignalType LIKE ‘%PH%’ ORDER BY PhasorID;

I hope this is correct

Yes, the query is correct - it’s very unusual not to see any records from that query, at least for synchrophasor data.

Double check that you are accessing the correct database (see openHistorian.exe.config)

Hi Ritchie,
The Bulk Sequence Calculator is working fine now. I had a couple of questions:

1. When we are upgrading the openHistorian version is there any chance of loss of prior historical data.
  2. Secondly if we make changes to the attributes of the phasors in the older version will that be reflected when we upgrade it. (For instance changing the Phase Types from default Positive Sequence to Phase A/B/C)
    Thanks,
    Datta
  1. When we are upgrading the openHistorian version is there any chance of loss of prior historical data.

The only data loss that should occur is while the system is upgrading, it won’t be running and therefore won’t be archiving data. All existing archived data will remain in tact.

2. Secondly if we make changes to the attributes of the phasors in the older version will that be reflected when we upgrade it. (For instance changing the Phase Types from default Positive Sequence to Phase A/B/C)

These changes will remain in tact through an upgrade.

Thanks a lot for your support and assistance Ritchie.