Same SQL server instance for openPDC and openHistorian

Can the same SQL server instance be used for openPDC and openHistorian while using them to send data to OSI-PI Historian?

The openHistorian and the openPDC have slightly different schemas for the SQL database. Therefore you will not be able to use the same database, however you can still use the same instance of SQL Server as long as you set up 2 separated databases.

The configuration manager tool at the end of the installation Process should take care of this for you as long as you specify 2 different database names (defaults for openPDC and openHistorian are already different so just clicking next should do it).

Also, for extra clarity, you can use the same SQL Server “instance” with two different databases.

Per sending data to PI, if you connecting openHistorian to the openPDC to receive data, e.g., with an STTP to GEP subscription, then openHistorian will be receiving the same data as openPDC. In this case, both systems “should not” send the same data to PI, this would just make PI busy throwing away duplicates.

If openPDC and openHistorian are both collecting data from “different” data sources, then sending data to PI from both systems should be no issue.

Thanks,
Ritchie

Sorry for my misrepresentation of the question. The thing that I wanted to emphasize was that can OSI-PI Historian take both openHistorian and openPDC as PI-Point source on the same machine. The issue that I am facing is that when I am assigning PI Point Source as openPDC I am not being able to see any tags in the Data however it is working fine for openHistorian. As OSI-PI Historian takes a SQLEXPRESS instance I was wondering whether we have to create a separate instance for archiving openPDC data in PI-Historian.
Thanks for your previous feedbacks.
Thanks and regards,
Dattatreya

PI-Point source can be whatever value you like - it is used to help identify points from GPA products in PI.

If you have openPDC and openHistorian on the same box then you will need separate configuration databases, but both the openPDC and openHistorian configuration databases can live within the same instance of SQL server, e.g., an “openPDC” database in “localhost\SQLEXPRESS” and “openHistorian” database in “localhost\SQLEXPRESS” is just fine.