Request Configuration Fail on openPDC

Hi

I try to connect openPDC to SEL-735, a product by Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories to PMU Connection Tester via UDP and its work.

Then, I try to “Request Configuration” of this device on openPDC by try input the connection config manual and using connection file from PMU Connection Tester, but it always fail with error messege like in picture that i attach.
lala

Please help me to solve it, i’ve try it in entire day but still stuck with it. Thaknyou

Hi G5AM,

The messages here are a bit misleading. UDP is a connectionless protocol so when the PMU Connection Tester says that it has “Connected to remote device,” that really just means that it has successfully bound to the local UDP port. Ultimately, we can conclude either that the config frame request is not reaching the device or that the config frame itself is not reaching the PMU Connection Tester. Likely, there is a firewall blocking the packets one way or the other, but it could also be that the device is not listening on the remote UDP port. I recommend reviewing the device configuration to ensure the connection parameters in the PMU Connection Tester are set up correctly, fiddling with Windows Firewall configuration to ensure that it’s not blocking packets, and maybe getting a packet capture with Wireshark to investigate a bit deeper.

Thanks,
Stephen

1 Like

Hi Stephen. Thank you for your respon. To make it clear, i’ll try to tell you the chronology:

1. At first attempt, i try to connect my device SEL-735 (192.168.0.2) with PMU Tester using TCP connection by using TCP port 4712 with my VM (192.168.0.4) as interface. I try it several time, but it’s didn’t work.

2. Then i try to use UDP-U (i also try using UDP-T and the result is same) connection with UDP port 4713 for Connection String that receive data from SEL-735 (IP 192.168.0.2) with my VM (192.168.0.4) as the interface and TCP port 4712 for Command Channel with SEL-735 as the host and my VM as the interface. In this way, i succeed to connect with PMU Tester but fail to do Device Configuration in openPDC.

I also confuse because when I succeed to connect using PMU tester, the PMU tester stream real-time phasor diagram that always change when in this case i still didn’t connect my device to any synchrophasor input. Then i try to verify it by unplug my ethernet cable then the phasor real time stream is stop, thats mean PMU tester taking phasor data from device when the device i still not connect with any phasor.

I also try to send “Stop Command” using TCP channel to stop data stream then the data stream is stop. That’s mean TCP command channel is also works.

Here i conclude my question:

1. Why i can’t communicate using TCP?
  2. If the “Stop Command” from PMU tester is succeed to reach the device via TCP, why “Configured Device” command from openPDC cant reach the device?
  3. Why the PMU Tester can display synchrophasor data stream whrn the device still not connect with any synchrophasor input? (My case only connect to 3 cable, P and N for PSU and ethernet cable)

Hmm, although you say the TCP connection didn’t work, you didn’t provide any error message or description of what happened so I cannot provide any insight there. However, based on your description of what happens when using UDP with a TCP command channel, I wonder if the device is simply ignoring the PMU Connection Tester’s configuration frame requests because the Device ID Code doesn’t match what the device is expecting? Can you locate the PMU Hardware ID setting in the device and make sure the Device ID Code in the PMU Connection Tester matches?

As for your last question, I’m not that familiar with how the SEL-735 works. If you can get the device to provide you with a configuration frame, then you’ll be able to interpret the data frames and see exactly what type of data the device is sending. If there are no phasors in the stream, then perhaps you are only receiving frequency, delta frequency, a set of status flags, and maybe some time quality flags.

Hello Stephen. Thanks for your respon.

1. I’ve match my device ID with PMU Connection Tester and I can ensure that this device ID is true because before i match this ID, PMU Tester always fail to connect with my device. Then when i set the ID value to be same with the device ID which is visible in the device default application and also device LCD, the device is succeed to connect with PMU Tester.

And then, the device ID configuration in openPDC is from PMU Tester connection file, so , so i think that’s not the problem. Is that true or maybe i do some mistake or misunderstanding on it?

1. Second, when i trying to I try to use TCP, the PMU Tester always display either “Connection Closed by Remote Device” or “… connected host has fail to respond”. I think it’s getting weird because like i say before, when i using UDP-T, i succeed to send “Stop Command” using TCP channel to stop data stream from device. Does that mean only the “TCP stream channel” that has a problem while “TCP command channel” is normal? Please give me an explanation about that and why that could be happen.

2. Is it possible recieved device configuration via UDP connection? Because in this first section of our discusion, the error messege tell us about “Receive configuration error” when in this case, I use UDP-U connection, UDP to recive data and TCP to send command

1. The Device ID Code does look correct, based on your screenshot. However, I am a little confused why you brought up the openPDC here. Are you able to receive the device configuration in openPDC despite not being able to do so in PMU Connection Tester?
  2. The first error message suggests that the device is proactively closing the connection, probably after an erroneous message was transferred or an extended idle period triggered a timeout. The second error message could indicate that a firewall is blocking the port, but that seems pretty unlikely based on several of your other observations.
  3. PMU Connection Tester should support all three modes of communication that you’ve listed. That is to say, TCP, UDP-T, and UDP-U are all supported.

From the perspective of the network layer, there is no reasonable explanation why the device would ignore one command and respond to another. All commands are sent over the same command channel, and responses are returned over the same channel except in the case of UDP-U. With that in mind, perhaps the issue has nothing to do with the network layer at all.

Upon reviewing your initial error message, I notice that you’ve selected IEEE C37.118.2-2011 and that the device is sending SendConfigurationFrame3. It occurs to me that perhaps the device does not support the SendConfigurationFrame3 command. Have you tried changing the protocol to IEEE C37.118-2005 and/or manually sending the SendConfigurationFrame2 command?

Thanks a lot Stephen for still provide me a time for give me a huge explanation.

1. For “Are you able to receive the device configuration in openPDC despite not being able to do so in PMU Connection Tester?” what that happen is the opposite, i can configure connection using PMU Connection Tester, but when i try to configure the device using openPDC by select “Request Configuration”, it’s doesn’t work.

lala

So, i configure the device manually by import the configuration data from PMU Connection Tester. Then after i comple device configuration, my PMU input name STATION_A is apear, but it’s always display red lamp.

Here i confuse because when the STATION_A light in openPDC is red (openPDC cant do data stream), in PMU Tester still doing data stream marked by the phasor graph on PMU tester is continiously display syncrophasor graph.

Why connection tester can provide us syncrophasor graph whilel openPDC with configuration and connection that same with PMU Tester can’t do the same?

1. Second, like my privious question " Why the PMU Tester can display synchrophasor data stream whrn the device still not connect with any synchrophasor input? (My case only connect to 3 cable, P and N for PSU and ethernet cable)" as we can see from picture below, the data that recieve by PMU Tester is a phasor data (i can’t provide you the picture when data stream is ongoing because currently i don’t connected to the device but i can show you the phasor configuration from PMU tester that i configure manually to openPDC)

Where when device connected, the PMU Tester will provide data stream from all those phasor.

And then again, Why the PMU Tester can display synchrophasor data stream whrn the device still not connect with any synchrophasor input? I really confuse about this thing :smile:

1. SEL 735 instruction manual doesn’t provide any information about IEEE C37.118-2005 instead it’s say that SEL-735 supports protocol defined in IEEE C37.118-2011, but i’ll try to use IEEE C37.118-2005.

But, if the problem is the protocol, why i still can do data stream from PMU Tester using IEEE C37.118-2011?

And as addition, in this manual talk a lot about IEEE C37.118.1 and IEEE C37.118.2 that doesn’t provide in PMU Tester. Do we should include this protocol ?

what that happen is the opposite, i can configure connection using PMU Connection Tester, but when i try to configure the device using openPDC by select “Request Configuration”, it’s doesn’t work.

I see now that this was the source of my confusion all along. I thought the initial error message was coming from PMU Connection Tester, but it was actually from openPDC Manager. I was able to reproduce the issue and discovered an exception when deserializing the ConfigurationFrame3 in openPDC Manager. We will be fixing that in the next version.

For now, one possible workaround is to use IEEE C37.118-2005, which will bypass the exception by forcing openPDC and openPDC Manager to use ConfigurationFrame2 instead. Another possible workaround is to load the configuration frame from PMU Connection Tester as you have already done.

Here i confuse because when the STATION_A light in openPDC is red (openPDC cant do data stream), in PMU Tester still doing data stream marked by the phasor graph on PMU tester is continiously display syncrophasor graph.

Since you are using a UDP data channel to communicate with the device, you definitely need to make sure that PMU Connection Tester is not connected to the device when openPDC is attempting to make a connection. That is because openPDC and PMU Connection Tester cannot share the UDP port that the device will be sending data to. First, try disconnecting PMU Connection Tester and then initialize the input device in openPDC. If the openPDC is still unable to connect, try checking StatusLog.txt, ErrorLog.txt, and the openPDC Console to see if there are any errors when initializing the device.

And then again, Why the PMU Tester can display synchrophasor data stream whrn the device still not connect with any synchrophasor input? I really confuse about this thing :smile:

It seems like maybe you are talking about physical connections. I don’t know much about how the SEL-735 works, but it’s not uncommon for measurement devices to be internally taking voltage and current measurements on a disconnected feed. This typically results in near-zero measurements hovering below the noise threshold, which can still theoretically be used to compute synchrophasors. I’d expect it to produce low-magnitude phasors with random angles. That said, I suspect you will probably be able to gain more insight by simply contacting SEL rather than asking here.