OpenPDC data archive failed

Hi Stephen and Ritchie,

Our OpenPDC stopped archiving PMU data since 3rd Aug. At the meanwhile, the receiving and sending functions are still working. I tried to restart the service and initialize the historian instances again, but the problem was not solved.

Here is the error report from OpenPDC:

(Inner Exception)
Date and Time: 8/11/2021 2:10:23 PM
Machine Name:
Machine IP:
Machine OS: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
Current User ID: NT SERVICE\openPDC
Current User Name:
Current User Phone:
Current User Email:

Application Domain: openPDC.exe
Assembly Codebase: C:/Program Files/openPDC/openPDC.exe
Assembly Full Name: openPDC, Version=2.3.4.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Assembly Version: 2.3.4.0
Assembly Build Date: 10/20/2016 12:16:26 PM
.Net Runtime Version: 4.0.30319.42000

Exception Source: GSF.Historian
Exception Type: System.NullReferenceException
Exception Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Exception Target Site: Rollover

---- Stack Trace ----
GSF.Historian.Files.ArchiveFile.Rollover()
openPDC.exe: N 00246

(Outer Exception)
Date and Time: 8/11/2021 2:10:23 PM
Machine Name:
Machine IP:
Machine OS: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
Current User ID: NT SERVICE\openPDC
Current User Name:
Current User Phone:
Current User Email:

Application Domain: openPDC.exe
Assembly Codebase: C:/Program Files/openPDC/openPDC.exe
Assembly Full Name: openPDC, Version=2.3.4.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Assembly Version: 2.3.4.0
Assembly Build Date: 10/20/2016 12:16:26 PM
.Net Runtime Version: 4.0.30319.42000

Exception Source:
Exception Type: System.InvalidOperationException
Exception Message: Archive rollover failed: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

---- Stack Trace ----

And here is the configuration of historian instances:

Maybe there is something wrong with GSF.Historian.dll, should I replace the current file with latest one and initialize the historian instances again? Or I need to update the OpenPDC?

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,
Aaron

Hi Aaron,

By the looks of it, updating GSF.Historian.dll will probably not help. The first thing you should check is the free space on the drive that contains the archive. If there’s no free space on left on the drive, then you’ll just end up spinning your wheels trying to follow the rest of this advice so definitely make sure you don’t forget to check it.

If it looks like you have plenty of free space, then there’s a pretty good chance that one of your archive files has become corrupt. From there, I would try removing ppa_startup.dat, scratch.dat, and any *.standby files if you find them to see if the situation improves. After that, I would move on to ppa_dbase.dat2. Finally, if removing the dbase file does not fix the issue, then you can also try removing the ppa_archive.d file as well.

The PPA adapter will need to be initialized each time you remove files from the directory, and you may need to disable the adapter completely to ensure that it’s not holding any locks on the files you remove. If you want to be absolutely sure you completed each step properly, I would recommend first stopping the service, then removing the files, then starting the service again once the files have been removed.

Thanks,
Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your reply. I killed the service called OpenPDC: ioan in Windows Manager and delete the mentioned files. But I received this error message when I was trying to restart the OpenPDC:

System.ApplicationException: Application is currently disconnected from service.
at GSF.TimeSeries.UI.CommonFunctions.SendCommandToService(String command)
at GSF.PhasorProtocols.UI.ViewModels.OutputStreams.InitializeOutputStream()

And I noticed the indicator light turned to red.

Could you please give me some hints about how to restart service properly?

Many thanks,
Aaron

That error is raised by openPDC Manager when the openPDC service is not running. You need to start the openPDC service using the Windows Services Manager.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks! The archive issue was solved.

1 Like