Mass Input Tags

Hello !

I’ve been using OpenHistorian for a couple months now, and I’m really impressed with what is done. I’m starting to be interested in going slightly deeper in the architecture but don’t want to break everything.

I would like to add quickly new tags Modbus TCP input devices. I already have a bit of code to create the json files, but I wonder if I can bypass that and directly modify the OpenHistorian.db configuration to :

1 - Create a new device : I saw you have a ‘Device_InsertDefault’ trigger in sqlite which seems rather simple : are there any other specific bases I need to update for the device to work ?

2 - Create new tags : Same idea : if I simply add a measurement tag with the correct DeviceId, will the server automatically create all it needs ?

Thanks in advance !

Best regards

Hello again !

I worked on a way to add devices and measurements massively to the SQLite Configuration file. I then try to either use the configuration setup utility or simply restart the service, but it seems the modbus client doesn’t detect that I added a new device. Here are a few screenshots with a device I added manually (device111) and a few devices I added with my code :

Here are the connection strings :
Device111 (which works) :
hostName=127.0.0.1; port=502; frameFormat=TCP; transport=TCP; unitID=1; pollingRate=750; interSequenceGroupPollDelay=250; sequenceCount=1; sequence0={sequenceType=Read; groupCount=1; groupType0=HR; groupStartAddress0=12300; groupPointCount0=113; derivedCount=32}

Device1 (Doesn’t work)
hostName=127.0.0.1; port=502; frameFormat=TCP; transport=TCP; unitID=1; pollingRate=750; interSequenceGroupPollDelay=250; sequenceCount=1; sequence0={sequenceType=Read; groupCount=1; groupType0=HR; groupStartAddress0=12300; groupPointCount0=113; derivedCount=32}

When I’m in the device manager page and I ‘connect’ using the button, I can see the current values and the Read/Write Number incrementing, but not on the ‘current device status’ page.

Here’s what I tried :
Initializing the Device
changing Historian and reverting back
Adding Measurement ‘the normal way’ without passing by my code
Comparing both lines of the OpenHistorian configuration : they have exactly the same values
Looking in the wwwroot files to see what script you launch when there’s a click on the “save device” button
Plenty of other unfruitful stuff :slight_smile:

My thought is that the Modbus TCP client needs to be initialized with the connection string at some point and to link the input to the OH server. I don’t know if my method doesn’t properly add the device or if I need to create that link to the OH server : could you give me more info ?

If you wish, I can provide the SQLite configuration. My version is 2.7.265.0

Thanks in advance !

Best regards

Are you manually creating the measurements too? These will need to be associated with your new device, plus there is some special formatting to map a measurement to the Modbus values - look at some of the measurements that were created associated with working device.

On easy way to examine existing measurements is to simply go to the “Metadata > Measurements” menu item in the openHistorian Manager (UI app not on the web).

Thanks!
Ritchie

Hello !

Wow, impressive response time :open_mouth:

Yes, the code I use to ‘automatically’ generate the measurements also create json files : that’s how I added the measurements to Device111.
Basically, I tried :

• adding both Device and Measurements by editing the SQLite db → doesn’t work
  • adding a device through SQLite and adding measurements through Json files → doesn’t work
  • adding a device manually and adding measurements through Json files → works

I concluded that the issue is when I create my device.

Here are measurements info :

Device 111 :

Device 1 :

I first didn’t have the initial ‘DEVICE1’ prefix to the description : still no luck though.

A few questions :

I notice the Measurements you add are done so filtered : first the HR variables, then the DV : do they have to be that way ?
I also notice that you don’t automatically ‘Enable’ the HR that are just used for the Derived Variables : do they also have to be that way ?

I’ll try anyways to work in both those directions, but I’d love to have your input to save me some time :slight_smile:

Thanks again for your reactivity !

Best regards

Hello again,

First of all thank you, your response was very useful

Secondly, I’m sorry : I’ve figured it out (so to answer my previous questions : no and no, there is no need for neither : no need to filter or ‘Enable’ anything). I forgot a pesky “!” between the DV and the registers. A quick update, restart and I’m logging countless registers.

Thanks again,

Best regards

Very good. I was going to point out the measurement wasn’t set to “Enabled” in the second picture which it will need to be in order to get archived, etc. - but glad it’s all working for you.

Thanks,
Ritchie