Having Problems connecting OPAL RT HYPERSIM with OPEN PDC Connection Tester

Dear Support Team,
I hope that you are having a great day. My name is Hamza and i am currently working as a Student Research Assistant at Otto von Guericke Universität Magdeburg, Germany along with my Masters.

As a part of my student assitant job, I have developed a model of 9-Bus system and on some of the buses there are Phasor Measurement Units (PMUs) connected. Now I am trying to connect these PMUs with OPEN PDC PMU Tester to get the output in real time. Since i am almost new in this, thus I need help. I have setup the IP address and port number in the I/O Interface of OPAL RT HYPERSIM and same ip adress and port number is set in PMU Connection tester as can be seen.

I am unsure what doesAwaiting configuration frame means? I would also like to mention that I am running this simulation on local host with IP Adress 141.52.44.171. There is also an Hardware simulator available which is connecte with PC using IP address 141.44.52.167. When i am trying to connect with hardware simulator its is ging me an eror that Connection closed by remote device and A connection can not be established because target computer refused the connection

Your response in this regard wil be very helpful for me.

Kind Regards,
Hamza Ansari.

Hello Hamza,

Awaiting configuration frame means that the PMU Connection Tester has successfully opened a connection to that TCP port and is now waiting for the response to its Send Config Frame 2 command. I don’t know enough about OPAL-RT to say why it wouldn’t be responding to the command.

Connection closed by remote device typically means that the connection was established, but some error was encountered on the remote side of the connection that caused that remote system to close the connection unexpectedly.

A connection can not be established because target computer refused the connection tends to occur when the remote system is reachable via the IP address or hostname but they are not listening on the TCP port that you are attempting to use to connect. This could mean the application isn’t running or the module that opens the TCP port has encountered an error or is not enabled.

Thanks,
Stephen

1 Like

Hello Stephen,

Thanks for the response, it clears up a lot of things for me.

While I try to solve the Awaiting configuration frame error as it is more OPAL-RT based I guess, can you please guide me for possible solutions to the other two errors if possible? As you mentioned that A connection can not be established because the target computer refused the connection tends to occur when the remote system is reachable via the IP address or hostname but they are not listening on the TCP port that you are attempting to use to, so this means that I have given correct IP address and port number however due to some reasons (maybe because of the firewall, if so what can be the solution) it is unable to connect, right?

Also, is there a way to translate the Hexadecimal command frame to a somewhat understandable format?

Kind regards,
Hamza

… so this means that I have given correct IP address and port number however due to some reasons (maybe because of the firewall, if so what can be the solution) it is unable to connect, right?

Not necessarily. In the typical case, you would be correct. However, it could also mean that you have entered the IP address incorrectly, and there is another system that is reachable at that IP address but isn’t listening on that port. Or it could be that the IP address is correct but there’s a conflict for that IP address on your network. I’ve also seen cases where a firewall is configured to close the connection rather than dropping the packet, which would make it appear that it’s not a firewall issue when it actually is.

So it’s hard to hone in on the actual problem without more information. Maybe try connecting to the same IP address with the simulated hardware disabled to see if anything changes. If it does, then you know for sure you’re reaching the simulator using that IP.

Also, is there a way to translate the Hexadecimal command frame to a somewhat understandable format?

Try switching to the Protocol Specific tab.

Thanks,
Stephen