Export/Import Input devices

Hi folks!

I have two machines with openPdc configured and I will like to copy the Input devices from one machine to another.

I tried to copy the “ConfigurationCache” folder but It doesn’t work.

Which is the correct way to import and export that kind of configuration?

Thank you and best regards,
Marco.

Hi Marco,

The configuration of the openPDC is stored in the SQL database that was created when you ran the Configuration Setup Utility. If you want to transfer configuration from one system to another, you would either need to have the new system point to the old configuration database or copy the old configuration database into the database used by the new system. If, instead of transferring, you want to make a copy of the original database configuration to use on another system and keep the original system running, you would need to copy the database configuration to a separate database. Regardless, the process depends on which database engine you are using to host your configuration database.

Can you share what database type you selected when using the Configuration Setup Utility to set up the openPDC? Also, would you elaborate a bit on whether you are attempting to transfer configuration or creating a copy of an existing instance?

Thanks,
Stephen

Along the same line… If I have openHistorian running on a live system and also have an offline/develpment/testing openHistorian, can the configuration of the system be updated by copying the configuration database? I used the SQLite database during configuration and have the same version of openHistorian installed on both machines. Let’s assume that the configuration databases match before I make offline changes.

For example, I want to make add some measurements in the development configuration. Can I take that *.db file and replace the *.db file on the live system? Would I need to restart openHistorian? Should I stop the service first?

I don’t have remote access to the live system, so I would like to be able to prepare changes in the office and quickly transfer to the live system.

-Evan

Hi Evan,

Yes, copying the SQLite *.db file from one system to another is a valid method for transferring configuration changes from one system to another. What you would need to do after transferring the file for the changes to take effect really depends on the nature of the changes. Most changes will take effect if you issue a ReloadConfig command to the service via the openHistorian Console. If you made changes to the configuration of an active adapter in the system, you should instead issue the Initialize ADAPTER command where ADAPTER should be the acronym of the adapter you modified. The openHistorian automatically picks up all configuration changes from the database at startup so restarting the openHistorian would be a valid catch-all for applying configuration updates.

Thanks,
Stephen