Connection file created on PMU Connection Tester/openPDC does not work for openHistorian


I am trying to set up a PMU connection using openHistorian’s synchrophasor device setup.

I went into the PMU Connection Tester, connected to the PMU, and was able to download my connection file and configuration file.
Additionally, I was able to set the device up in openPDC and get three-phase voltage and current measurements. I could not configure the device in openHistorian manager. In the synchrophasor device wizard, I request the configuration file and the connection times out after 60 seconds. The same process in openPDC worked and was able to retrieve the configuration file. I attempted manually configuring the device by attempting to bypass the “request config” screen and was still unable to get output.

When I go to the openHistorian webapp, the synchrophasor input wizard accepts my connection file, then does not do anything else. It hangs here:

We have a working instance of openHistorian on a separate machine in the lab that uses the PPA historian, but I have been unsuccessful in configuring it.

Any help would be appreciated,

Hello John,

Are the openPDC and openHistorian on separate systems? Have you tried installing PMU Connection Tester on the openHistorian system and testing the connection from there?


Thanks for the reply Stephen,

The working openPDC and the nonworking openHistorian are on the same system and PMU Connection Tester connects on both the system with a working openHistorian and the system without.


Does the PMU allow multiple simultaneous connections? If it does, I may be out of ideas.

It does not. It only allows one connection, but we have been conscious of that while attempting connections.

I could not configure the device in openHistorian manager. In the synchrophasor device wizard, I request the configuration file and the connection times out after 60 seconds.

When you use the Request Configuration button in the openHistorian Manager Input Device Wizard, the openHistorian service attempts to make a connection to the device to retrieve its configuration. For a TCP connection like the one you have configured in your screenshot above, I would expect this to fail pretty quickly instead of timing out after 60 seconds.

Can you try again to reproduce that error and see if you get the same result? When it’s done, if you receive a popup with an error message, can you share a screenshot of the popup? It should look similar to this one.



Thanks again for helping out. Here’s a screenshot of the error I get after attempting the connection the same way.

Seems like the service is not responding to the request. Can you try running openHistorian Console to see if the remote console interface is functioning properly? Maybe try entering list 0 or listcommands 0 commands to see what they return.

Where can I find the console? Should I be looking in the webapp or openHistorian Manager?

There should be a shortcut in the Start menu, or you can look for openHistorianConsole.exe in the openHistorian folder alongside openHistorian.exe, openHistorianManager.exe, and several others.

I did list 0 and listcommands 0 and both worked:

If you keep the openHistorian Console open off to the side or in the background and use the Request Configuration button in openHistorian Manager, you should start to see messages like this in the console.


Can you give this a try and see if those messages appear?

I just requested configuration and no messages appeared in the console at all.

Okay, so it sounds like the openHistorian Manager is not able to communicate with the service after all.

The manager opens a connection to the remote console interface so it can issue commands to the service in the background. When you press the Request Configuration button, it sends the invoke 0 requestdeviceconfiguration command over that connection. You can use the Monitoring > Remote System Console page in the manager to send commands such as list 0 and listcommands 0 using that same connection.

The System > Manage Nodes page allows you to adjust the connection string for the remote console interface. By default, the openHistorian service listens on TCP port 8510. In the following screenshot, you can see that my manager is configured to connect to localhost:8510.

I don’t have a good idea of why this isn’t working for you at the moment so I’m not sure what exactly to suggest. You may need to play around with these pages to see if you can get it working on your own or get some useful feedback you can share here. Keep in mind that after modifying node settings and clicking Save, you may need to navigate to the Home page to force the connection to reset before you can observe the result.

One final note is that you should be able to see similar connection settings by opening the openHistorianConsole.exe.config file in a text editor and looking for the remotingClient section. Since your openHistorian Console appears to be working, you may want to look and see if there is any discrepancy between the node settings and the openHistorian Console settings.