Suddennly my OpenPDC process doesnt start anymore

Hello guys.

I was running openPDC from long time ago in one of my computers. But suddenly, my computer start showing an process error when attempting to start/restart the openPDC process. It says on a pop-up box:

"Windows could not start the openPDC service on local Computer.

Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly"

I can open openPDC manager and console but the console presents error related with the refused connection (I believe because the process isnt running).

I went on a vacation dezember 18 and it was running well. My computer did some windows updates but none related with framework and things like that. On February 15th, I came to my house and see the computer with that problem.

Could you help me with this problem? I have no clue what happened and what was the cause of that problem.

Best regards.

The openPDC runs as a WIndows service and cannot be started by double-clicking on the .exe. file. Instead, you need to open the Windows Services manager by clicking on the Windows start menu and typing “Services”. When the Windows Services manager shows up, scroll down until you find openPDC in the list of services, right-click on openPDC and select “Start”.

The openPDC runs as a service so that it starts when Windows starts (or at least that or what is “supposed” to happen)…

Thanks!
Ritchie

Hello Ritchie. Thanks for the quickly answer.

I know what you means. I always handle openPDC by stopping and starting the service on “Services” manager. I also restart it sometimes when I see some unwanted behavior.

But the Error 1067 shows up when I am attempting to start the openPDC service. I am attaching the error print with the openPDC console (as an extra information).

That typically means there’s an issue with the configuration. Most commonly this is simply the XML-based openPDC.exe.config is not well formatted (e.g., incomplete) where it did not save properly during shutdown. Commonly there is a backup.

Couple of things to check here:

Steps for corrupt config file

First, make a copy of openPDC.exe.config and rename it to openPDC.exe.config.xml, then open this in a tool, e.g., a web browser, to make sure the file is well formatted XML.

If the active config file is corrupt, we can restore the backup file, i.e., renaming openPDC.exe.config.backup to openPDC.exe.config (make sure and rename the bad file first, like to openPDC.exe.config.trouble).

If the active config file is corrupt and no openPDC.exe.config.backup exists, then you should go ahead and rename openPDC.exe.config to openPDC.exe.config.trouble then reinstall openPDC. At the point where the “Configuration Setup Utility” is asking you to “Set up existing configuration”, make sure to select “I want to use an existing configuration” and your original config should be fine.

Steps for diagnosing other startup issues

If your openPDC.exe.config file is well formatted, perhaps something else is going on. In this case you can run the Windows “Event Viewer” tool and look for any issues in the “Windows Logs/Application” where “Source” is "openPDC’, specifically those that may have a “Level” of “Error”.

If you find one of these, a reinstall of the openPDC may be your best course of action, however, I would like to know what the error message was here should you find one, as these kinds of errors are more rare.

Thanks!
Ritchie

Hello dear Ricthie. Once again, thanks for the quickly answer. Of course I can share with you the event logs.

At first I try to read the config as xml way and it looks like ok and readable. Then I go through event viewer and there is some related errors that appear after a starting service procedure. There are 2 errors and 1 information. I am going to share with you as the following reports:

First error:

Application: openPDC.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException
at System.Collections.Generic.DictionaryExtensions.Get[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]](System.Collections.Generic.IDictionary2<System.String,System.Object>, System.String) at Microsoft.Owin.Host.HttpListener.OwinServerFactory.Initialize(System.Collections.Generic.IDictionary2<System.String,System.Object>)

Exception Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(System.Object, System.Object, System.Signature, Boolean)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(System.Object, System.Object, System.Object)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(System.Object, System.Reflection.BindingFlags, System.Reflection.Binder, System.Object, System.Globalization.CultureInfo)
at Microsoft.Owin.Hosting.ServerFactory.ServerFactoryAdapter.Initialize(Owin.IAppBuilder)
at Microsoft.Owin.Hosting.Engine.HostingEngine.Start(Microsoft.Owin.Hosting.Engine.StartContext)
at Microsoft.Owin.Hosting.Starter.HostingStarter.Start(Microsoft.Owin.Hosting.StartOptions)
at openPDC.ServiceHost.TryStartWebHosting(System.String)
at openPDC.ServiceHost+<>c__DisplayClass22_0.b__0()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Second error (most important in my opinion):

Faulting application name: openPDC.exe, version: 2.9.6.0, time stamp: 0x604b35cb
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1949, time stamp: 0xcb12e58e
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000034fd9
Faulting process id: 0x1500
Faulting application start time: 0x01da4e4042c98958
Faulting application path: D:\openPDC\openPDC.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 8187114e-5158-447a-ab24-9c7f6dceaf9a
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

For me, it looks like there are missing the KERNELBASE.DLL but it is located on the tagged folder.
I checked if it is missing but I could find it inside my system32 folder (It exist).

My concern is the case sensitive on the file address. The process error present “WINDOWS” as a part of the address and my computer has that folder named as “Windows” for the fault module path . Once again I am biased to think that Windows update broke something.

What do you think?
Best Regards.

This is interesting in that this failure occurs inside of a try/catch in our code. Also the SEHException is an indication of an unmanaged code issue.

You could be correct in that this could be related to a recent Windows update.

I suggest re-installing the openPDC.

Thanks,
Ritchie