Having problem in loading pmuconnectiontester.vb file

Hi everyone
I have downloaded the source code of “pmu connection tester” but as I open the pmuconnctiontester.vb file in the project in visual studio 2015 express the error (exception from HRESULT 0X80131047) pops up with the following stack call:

at System.Reflection.AssemblyName.nInit(RuntimeAssembly& assembly, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean raiseResolveEvent)
at System.Reflection.AssemblyName…ctor(String assemblyName)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.VSTypeResolutionService.System.ComponentModel.Design.ITypeResolutionService.GetType(String typeName, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.VSTypeResolutionService.System.ComponentModel.Design.ITypeResolutionService.GetType(String name, Boolean throwOnError)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.HandlesClauseManager.GetReferencedComponentType(String componentName, CodeTypeDeclaration codeTypeDecl, ITypeResolutionService loader, IDictionary& cache)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.HandlesClauseManager.ParseHandlesClauses(CodeTypeDeclaration codeTypeDecl, Boolean updateCache)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomParser.OnMethodPopulateStatements(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.CodeDom.CodeMemberMethod.get_Statements()
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.TypeCodeDomSerializer.Deserialize(IDesignerSerializationManager manager, CodeTypeDeclaration declaration)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.CodeDomDesignerLoader.PerformLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager manager)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomDesignerLoader.PerformLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager serializationManager)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomDesignerLoader.DeferredLoadHandler.Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextManager.Interop.IVsTextBufferDataEvents.OnLoadCompleted(Int32 fReload)

I have controlled the assembly name. there is not any special character in the title and also in the debug tab the "enable vs hosting the process is unchecked. As I press the “ignore and continue” button the .vb panel will be blank and is not corresponded with the real software panel (just file and help tab is visible and seems that some data have been lost). I don’t know how to get rid of this problem please help me in solving this problem.

PS. as I try to load the whole project the warning message shows that “the solution is bound to source control” which I reject to contact the server for integration. is there any relation between the error and the bounded source control as well ?

Did you download code from CodePlex or GitHub? I suggest downloading from GitHub: https://github.com/GridProtectionAlliance/PMUConnectionTester

Thanks,
Ritchie

1 Like

Hi sepehru,

Like Ritchie said, you should download the source code from GitHub instead of CodePlex. That may solve the source control binding issue.

The other error you are receiving occurs because Visual Studio is attempting to use the Windows Forms designer to open the file. You can open the code in the text editor by right-clicking the file and selecting the “View Code” option.

Thanks,
Stephen

I tried both website, and the error/ warning messages were the same. I also tried to change the source control from the tab file but it was not possible.

Thanks for your attention

Hi Stephen
as I also replied to ritchiecarroll for both websites I faced similar messages. Beside that for my main problem (the described error) I can see this panel as I open the pmuconnctiontester.vb file

so as you can see only two tabs are visible (file & help). since I would like to modify and add some visual feature to the software based on my needs, I need to see all objects of the panel. how can I recover the panel as same as to the software itself?

Kind regards
sepehr

I just downloaded a fresh copy of the source code from GitHub and opened solution in VS2015 Community edition and clicked the “Debug” button and the app ran fine.

What steps are you taking to produce an error?

Note: if you are trying to “edit” the main screen form, you will need to aquire the Infragistics control suite - the connection tester uses several custom controls in this tool package.

Thanks,
Ritchie

The good news is, I was able to remove the source control bindings and fix the designer error you reported. The bad news is, you still can’t edit using the designer because you still need Infragistics.

FYI, the designer simply generates code in the PMUConnectionTester.Designer.vb file. It’s not WYSIWYG, but you should be able to modify visual elements by modifying the code in that file.

Thanks,
Stephen

I finally opened the project without any source control bounding error, however I have downloaded the source code via Git Bash to solve the issue. I don’t know why the github link didn’t work properly for me.

Regard with editing the main screen, I think I have infragistics in my dependencies as I colored it with a red box. Is it something that I have to have ? or you meant something else ?

Thanks for your attention
Sepehr

would you please inform me more regards with the infragistic? cause I think I have in my dependencies which I still have the problem. I also do not have the pmuconnectiontester.designer.vb file in my solution.

kind regards
Sepehr

The Infragistics license allows distribution of their library with your application so that your application will work on other systems where the library has not been purchased. Thus, those libraries are shipped with the PMU Connection Tester project and that is why you are able to run the application without any issues after downloading. However, there is some code that validates whether you have installed the Infragistics toolkit when you attempt to use their libraries in the Visual Studio designer. If you download the latest source code and open the PMUConnectionTester.vb file in the designer, you should see that the error you have reported has instead been replaced by 81 errors, each with a stack trace similar to the following.

at Infragistics.Shared.UltraLicenseProvider.GetDesignTimeLicense(Type type, Object instance, Boolean allowExceptions, UltraLicenseBaseAttribute licenseAttribute)
at Infragistics.Shared.UltraLicenseProvider.GetLicense(LicenseContext context, Type type, Object instance, Boolean allowExceptions)
at System.ComponentModel.LicenseManager.ValidateInternalRecursive(LicenseContext context, Type type, Object instance, Boolean allowExceptions, License& license, String& licenseKey)
at System.ComponentModel.LicenseManager.Validate(Type type, Object instance)
at Infragistics.Win.Misc.Utilities.ValidateLicense(Type type, Object instance)
at Infragistics.Win.Misc.UltraLabel..ctor() 

I believe the toolkit you would need is the Windows Forms toolkit, and it is rather prohibitively priced at $899 for one year.

As for PMUConnectionTester.Designer.vb, you may need to click the “Show All Files” button in the Solution Explorer in order to see the file. Though, from the looks of your earlier screenshot, this may not be necessary.

You should be able to expand the PMUConnectionTester.vb file to find the PMUConnectionTester.Designer.vb file underneath.

Thanks,
Stephen

Dear Stephen

I’ve downloaded a trial version of infragistic (which based on the developer explanation has completely similar functionality w.r.t paid version).
I can see the objects now, but some of them are not yet completely shown. as an example, on the main screen, under protocol tab, there is pull down menu in the real software which the user can select among the available standards. However my opened source code in visual studio on the above mentioned pull down menu there is not any available choice and no standards can be seen or selected,or the chart display box shows a fixed message all the time. all these mismatches led the code not to be running correctly as I press debug and lunch in visual studio. do you have any hint regard with this issue that can help me ?
Thanks in advance
sepehr

Hi sepehr,

The phasor protocols are defined as an enumeration in the GSF.PhasorProtocols library. The combo box is populated programmatically using the values defined in that enumeration.

PhasorProtocols enumeration:

Code to populate the combo box:

Thanks,
Stephen