Bidirectional connection between two instances of OpenPDC with virtual PMUs

I am attempting to make a bidirectional connection between two separate instances of OpenPDC. Each of these PDCs has no external PMU device connected, but rather is using the sample data script with SQlite (SHELBY virtual PMU Device).

A bit about the setup. I have two PCs which are not connected to a network, they are connected in a LAN setup. Neither instance of OpenPDC has a real PMU connected. I have turned off the local firewall on both PDCs, so that it would not impede communications. I can ping each of the PCs from each other.

I would like to test my LAN setup for bidirectional communications, as such I am attempting to use the virtual PMU (SHELBY) which comes as a sample when building the database using SQlite. After following the steps as listed here: OpenPDC to OpenPDC communication I can confirm that the two PDCs are connected to each other, however no data is being transmitted. What could be the error?

Thanks in advance!
Roy

Hi Roy,

The problem in this case is most likely related to the fact that you are using the SHELBY sample device in both PDCs. In the sample data set, the measurement IDs are hardcoded, so each PDC believes it already owns all of the data points that the other PDC has available to send. You should be able to resolve the problem by generating brand new measurement IDs on just one of the PDCs. You can do this by deleting the SHELBY sample device and then using the device wizard to set up a new sample device using the Sample1344.PmuCapture file located in the openPDC installation directory.

Here is a screenshot from step 1 of the input wizard. Note the device ID code and protocol.

For step 2, all you need to do is click the “Request Configuration” button. You don’t need to do anything for step 3.

Thanks,
Stephen

From inputs using the device wizard I have changed and set up the new sample device using sample1344. At the same time I have changed Access ID with a different new one.I have followed step 2 with “request Configuration” and finished step 3. But the sample pmu is not able to generate any data and not able to transmit.Can you please help me to find the error?
Thanks in advance.
Roy

I believe the error was changing the access ID. The access ID for the Sample1344.PmuCapture needs to be set to 2, as in the screenshot.

Thanks,
Stephen

Thank you. I think it is generating data but in value tag it is displaying NaN. Please help me to correct the error.
Thanks in advance.
Roy

Can you be a little bit more specific? From what I understand, there are two separate PDCs and several different pages in the openPDC Manager that you could be talking about.

For general troubleshooting, try selecting a signal to display on the Graph Measurements page. Sometimes the system is getting values, but will display NaN on the Graph Measurements page because the timestamps for different devices don’t match up. Check the clocks on both PDCs to make sure they are pretty well synchronized, and make sure simulatedTimestamp=true is defined in your connection string.

Thanks,
Stephen