Set a connection ethernet to a PC

Hi,

Can someone help me in a introduction do connect a PMU to PC? I can see the values in web browser but it is more interesting to see waves.
I tried to do a connection between a PMU and a laptop with ethernet but without success using PMU connection tester. I did step by step. In network device show to me only Default option. How i know port if it is, 7200 or 4712 or 4714 or 8888 etc etc?

In setup.ini not exist C37_Communications_Settings to see what port is.

Where i can find device id code? Why is 1?

I only want a test in a lab with low voltage.

Thanks for your attention

Hi Aleixo,

The device ID code and port are typically defined as configuration settings in the PMU. How they are defined depends on the model of the PMU. I would recommend referring to the user manual for the PMU device or talking to the PMU manufacturer to determine how that is configured.

Thanks,
Stephen

Thank you for your answer.

Yes now i am in configuration of C37_Communications_Settings.

In the field of AlternateInterfaces - Default|127.0.0.1|::0 what is mean? That’s why i have a network interface(below the port) with a default value. I expect some ethernet connection.

regards,
Aleixo

Assuming you’re referring to “C37_Communications_Settings” on the PMU, AlternateInterfaces would define the IP addresses that the program will bind to in order to accept C37.118 connections. I can’t say specifically what Default means, but 127.0.0.1 is the loopback address for the device to connect to itself over IPv4 and ::0 is the loopback address for the device to connect to itself over IPv6. If it doesn’t bind to those addresses, the device wouldn’t be able to initiate connections to those IP addresses to receive its own C37.118 data stream. I suggest you refer to the user manual to determine what Default means in this context.

The AlternateInterfaces allows the user to manually specify IP addresses to bind to in cases where the PMU Connection Tester cannot determine the full set of Ethernet IP addresses that are available.

Anytime you see an Interface drop-down list in the PMU Connection Tester, this will be the list of Ethernet adapter names along with one of its associated IP addresses that the PMU Connection Tester was able to query. Since this list may not be exhaustive, as more than one IP address can resolve to a given Ethernet adapter, you can manually specify more to make sure the connection “goes out” on the desired IP.

Selecting the “Default” item in the AlternateInterfaces just tells the PMU Connection Tester to use the default interface, i.e., whichever common Ethernet adapter the operating system considers the “default”. Technically the interface definition should be Default|0.0.0.0|::0, this just defines a label, an IPv4 address and optionally an IPv6 address. For example, to add a custom IP address for an interface, you could define the AlternateInterfaces this way: Default|0.0.0.0|::0;MyInterface|192.168.1.91 - upon doing this the “MyInterface” item would should up in any of the Interface drop-down lists and selecting it would cause the PMU Connection Tester to initiate traffic on the “192.168.1.91” IP address.

Hope that helps elucidate what that means…

Thanks,
Ritchie

Hi again,

Now i have the information about PMU C37_Communications_Settings. I choose connection TCP instead of UDP.

I can not connect in PMU connection tester. When i try to connect to microPMU fail because of remote connection. The ping between devices were good.

In settings i tried Default|0.0.0.0|::0;MyInterface| “My IP number” and no connection succeeded. What could be the problem?

Regards,
Aleixo

Are you sure you have set the correct port and ID?

Yes. I believe that because is present in setup.ini of device and i don’t change it. Default settings of device.

Hi, again.

I think configurations are ok. The problem i think is in microPMU because with PDC manager i saw that my microPMU is not streaming the data. Never found the communication via TCP/IP for C37_Communications protocol. I have to find how enable data streaming from microPMU

thanks

I had a successful connection but openPDC manager don’t work now. I tried to uninstall and install and the problem persist.

One for installation and other for the problem when try to configure new database.

PDC_error

Do you know what problem is?

Regards,
Aleixo

Check the ConnectionString setting in openPDCManager.exe.config to ensure it is configured to connect to your database. It should match the ConnectionString setting in openPDC.exe.config. You may find it easier to just reconfigure openPDC Manager by running the Configuration Setup Utility again. Select the options for “Use existing database as-is”.

Yes it is the same setting.

running the Configuration Setup Utility again give me the same error

So the Configuration Setup Utility runs successfully, but openPDC Manager is unable to connect to your SQL Server instance? I’m not sure how that’s possible.

The error indicates that openPDC Manager is literally unable to connect to the server hosting your SQL Server instance. You may need to check the following:

1. The server’s hostname was entered properly (maybe try pinging the server).
  2. The server is listening on port 1433 (try running netstat -a -n -p tcp on the system running SQL Server).
  3. The server is configured to allow remote connections (the setting is under Connections when viewing the server properties in SQL Server Management Studio).

Thanks,
Stephen

I can’t install SQL server Management Studio because give me an error in instalation. Access denied, and other error decompressing SQL Server media.

That’s why i don’t have a server configuration. It interesting because some hours ago i had a configuration.

I don’t know it is not working the openPDC. When i open openPDC it close same instant.

Configuration Setup Utility always presents to me the errors that i posted yet

That’s my openPDC but openPDCmanager always crash when i open

FYI, I suspect your openPDC is also failing to connect to the database server, but is pulling its configuration from local cache. This will allow openPDC to continue working while the openPDC Manager completely fails because it can’t manage a database that it can’t connect to.

Are you installing this in a corporate environment using your company’s SQL Server installation? If so, you’re going to need to contact your IT department to see if the SQL Server instance is running, and you should get them to help you set up the connection. In the meantime, is SQLite an option for you? It’s much easier to set up because the database is stored in a local file and no additional installation is required to use it.

Now i tried with SQLite and works fine. Only see now your answer.

It is a problem to use SQLite?

SQLite use all space or has a limit?

Thanks

No, there is no problem with SQLite. We don’t usually recommend it for production deployments because it can’t be managed by IT, is difficult to use in a failover environment, has no built-in security, and the management tools aren’t as good.