OpenHistorian for Dummies?

Is there like a crash course documentation for OpenHistorian2? Maybe something along the lines of… “I’ve installed it, now what?”. This is coming from an Electrical Engineer trying to things working. I’ve got experience using visual studio but not to the extent a software engineer would.

I’m finding bits and pieces of documentation scattered all over the forums/github and I’m not really even sure I know whats relevant anymore. Looking at the two graphics from the link below… do I need openMIC to get data into OpenHistorian or do I need to use the API? How do I use the API or rather where can I find the guide?

What is the below link? Do I need to do this to get data into openHistorian?

Hi Brad,

Give us an example of “what” you are trying to do and we’ll do our best to guide you…

Also, keep in mind that the “web interface” of openHistorian is still in its nascent stages - so for now, with the exception of Modbus and static COMTRADE files, “inputs” into the openHistorian are best managed using the openHistorian Manager - this is a typical UI application (not web based) that you run from the start menu.

Thanks!
Ritchie

Hi,

I am also coming from .net background and I have been given a task to read data from OpenHistorian to Sql database. I am planning to write a console app (but this console should run in other machine than OpenHistorian server). I can read the measurements when the console runs in OpenHistorian server. But when I use the same code to other box, I dont know how to authenticate with OpenHistorian. Do you have any sample etc for this scenario?

Also do you have any glossary etc for each component used in OpenHistorian? like Measurement, Subscriber etc.

Thanks,
Muhammad

Check out this project:

It was designed to read historian data and process it for analytics - but could be easily adapted to simply write data into SQL Server.

Thanks!
Ritchie

Conventionally, I used to use HistorianView to convert the archived data from OpenPDC to readable .csv format. But with development of Openhistorian Manager 2.0 that also archives PMU datastreams, doesn’t the OpenPDC itself become obsolete?

I am a bit confused since I hardly can find any difference among the new OpenHistorian 2.0 Manager and OpenPDC Manager platforms.

I appreciate any insight on this.

Thanks,
Ali

If archiving is your goal - then yes, you can replace openPDC with openHistorian.

Technically the openPDC exists specifically to create concentrated synchrophasor output streams in IEEE C37.118, IEC 61850-90-5 or BPA PDCstream formats. If you do not need to produce a concentrated stream of data, that is one big stream of PMUs in a single output, then you do not need openPDC.

1 Like

Ritchie,

Just wanted to clarify on this. Since the openHistorian hosts the Time-Series Library, can it also produce concentrated synchrophasor output streams and perform all other openPDC core concentration capabilities?

Technically, yes, but because these functions add overhead that is not related to openHistorian’s primary functions, they are not automatically configured in the openHistorian. This is more of a product design decision, i.e., openPDC’s primary function is concentration and generation of synchrophasor protocols where as openHistorian’s primary functions are data archiving and visualization.

Ritchie