How to Setup DNP3 Device

That disposed message may be from previous instance.

What do you see if you execute the following from the console:

ls rtac-dnp3

Thanks,
Ritchie

Progress! When I issued the ls rtac-dnp3 command, I found that the device, while initialized, was not connected (I’d previously thought that if initialized, it would automatically connect). After executing connect rtac-dnp3 it started successfully polling the RTAC and plotting data in the real-time measurements graph. Is there a way to set up automatic connection so it doesn’t have to be connected through the console?

It should automatically connect by default because Connect On Demand is unchecked. The Connect On Demand flag, if checked, tells the adapter that it shouldn’t connect unless an action or output adapter advertises that it expects to receive the measurements provided by the DNP3 adapter.

In the process of trying various things, I’d checked the Connect On Demand option back on. After unchecking it again, it appears to be connecting automatically as you noted. Thank you both for your assistance with this!

I have being through all the suggestions here, but I am still having problems to set the DNP3 communication on openHistorian.

The system here already has a Modbus communication between RTAC and openHistorian that is working fine. The DNP3 adapters DLL are installed and the firewall is off.

For the DNP3 communication, I have already created the comms.xml and mapping.xml files, as well as the points on the Measurement screean at Manager. However, when I initialize the device I have a Error Connecting.

There are some points in this processes that still not clear for me. Like, Where should I drop the comms and mapping files? Would it be recognize if I drop the files at C: and indicate the path?

CommsFilePath=C:\comms.xml;
MappingFilePath=:\mapping.xml

The “ls rtac_dnp3_server” command is not working in my case. There is any thing that could avoid this command?

I would try putting the XML configuration files in the same folder as the openHistorian.

We’ve updated our DNP3 engine to the latest version of OpenDNP3. When installing the nightly build (as of 9/30/2020 or later), you should now run the DNP3ConfigGenerator.exe from the install folder. This tool will extract the needed OpenSSL DLL’s and the required Visual C++ Redistributable Installer, i.e., VC_redist.x64.exe. The Visual C++ Redistributable Installer will need to be run before attempting to use the DNP3 adapter, otherwise the adapter may not show up as an available input adapter in the openHistorian manager. The DNP3 config generation tool will also create a sample device.xml comm file and mappings.xml mappings file in the openHistorian installation folder. If you already have files with these names in your openHistorian installation folder that are important, you should back these up before running the DNP3ConfigGenerator.exe.

Thanks,
Ritchie

What is the problem working as an outstation (openPDC replying questions for measurements) ?

Thanks.

Hi Andre,

There is no problem, but the functionality doesn’t exist in openPDC. One would need to create an action adapter or output adapter that provides the functionality.

Thanks,
Stephen