Data not rececognized to the SCADA

Hi…I am anil yeduvanshi. My customer is facing the issue that he is unable to recognized the data on the SCADA. Please help me to get resolved this issue.

Customer try all you hints but face same problem… Scada receive values like “hieroglyphs”. From PDC and PMU (GE)

"Also customer try to check data from other substation, where data come via PMU (SEL) and we found some that SEL send 4 bite frame data (Main SCADA all values send and show correct). our PMU (GE) and PDC send 8 bite frame data…

Maybe there is reason why main phasor SCADA can’t recognize measurement values and show “hieroglyphs”.

Could you look attached wire shark data… and hint what we could do?"

Hi Anil,

To get 4-byte phasors in the data frame, you need to change the Data Format setting on the concentrator output stream to FixedInteger. You may also need to play with the Coordinate Format if you’re not getting the right numbers. (Of course, don’t forget to Save and Initialize when making changes.)

I don’t know anything about your SCADA system so I couldn’t tell you why it would be displaying “hieroglyphs”. Hopefully if you get the settings right on the PDC, it will resolve the issue in SCADA.

Thanks,
Stephen

1 Like

Hi Stephen,

Thanks, for your prompt reply. Let me try your suggestion.

Thanks,
Anil Yeduvanshi

Hi Stephen,

Customer tried all your hints also change all formats from beginning, but result values not reach main soft system (On come signals but format is not correct).

They try and „integer“ „ „floating_point“ format…

But the problem is that PMU send to PDC and PDC send to SCADA measurement and SCADA not get values but hieroglyph …

Please suggest me the possible solution to resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Anil Yeduvanshi

Sorry, but while I can tell you all kinds of things about how the openPDC works, there’s no way I can divine how your customer’s SCADA system might be converting standard formats into “hieroglyphs” when it should be displaying numbers. Your first step should be to determine the conditions under which the SCADA system could end up displaying those symbols, or perhaps better yet the conditions under which the SCADA system expects to interact with a PMU or PDC in order to operate properly.

If your hands are tied and you can’t learn anything more about the SCADA system, give us as much information about the SEL PMU as you can. Model, protocol, settings, and any files you can capture from PMU Connection Tester would all be good. With enough information, we may be able to configure your PDC’s protocol messages to match the PMU’s.

Hi Stephen,
Here is some SEL PMU Configuration is provided (screenshots)

Please suggest me the possible solution to resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Anil Yeduvanshi

I think I see now what you meant by 4-byte values. This configuration uses floating point for frequency and analog values and fixed integer for phasor values. Here are some screenshots from a mock output stream that should match the SEL’s PMU configuration.

First, make sure everything is set to 50 Hz. I also modified the communications channel to match the SEL PMU on TCP 4712.

At 50 Hz, there shouldn’t be any rounding issues, so any power of 10 between 1 and 100,000 should be okay. After setting the time resolution, click on Devices. Also note that my coordinate format is set to Polar. I didn’t highlight it because that’s the default, but if it was changed based on my previous instructions, it should be changed back.

Here’s the trick to matching the byte-size of the values in the data frame. You must explicitly set the data format for phasors, frequency, and analog for every device in the list.

Technically, if you don’t set the data format for a device, it will use the concentrator’s data format instead. Therefore, it may be a little easier to set the concentrator’s data format to FloatingPoint and then only explicitly set the phasor data format to FixedInteger.

When you are all done, go back to the Manage Output Streams page and Initialize the output stream.

Hi…Stephen,
It works fine for me. No i need some more help from you.

After network down with your PDC, PCD collect data from PMU, but after restart network PDC should send all collected data to SCADA, which SCADA not get in time of network failure… Now PDC only collect data but not send after failure

Could you look for possibility to send configuration for that, we not see such options."

Thanks ,
Anil Yeduvanshi

No such option exists for IEEE C37.118. The closest thing we have is data gap filling in the Gateway Exchange Protocol, but your SCADA system would have to support GEP for that to work.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your support.

Could you please share the process of initialization of “GAP Filling Process”. Please share the screenshot to achieve the same.

It’s very important for our customers to use the process of GAP Filling.

Thanks & regards,
Anil Yeduvanshi

Here’s an architecture diagram of how data gap filling can be set up between the substation and the control center.
https://github.com/GridProtectionAlliance/openPDC/blob/master/Source/Documentation/wiki/Automated_Archive_Data_Recovery_Operation.md

The following video walks through the setup for data gap filling in GEP and provides a demonstration.

Dear Stephen,

My customer still unable to achieve the Gap Filling after watching this video. Could you help me to get out from this situation.

Please, could you send me the steps to achieve the gap filling (Automated Data Recovery)

Thanks & Regards
Anil Yeduvanshi

The steps are described and demonstrated in the video. I have nothing to add to it. If your customer has a specific problem following any of the steps in the video, you can ask about that here and I will do my best to answer.

Dear Stephen,

We have installed OpenPDC and OpenHistorian in One substation and the data directly coming from the PMU to the OpenPDC and OpenHistorin in Substation. Here, we have created the Concentrator Output Streams to the Server.

Now, the OpenHistorian and OpenPDC (Configured in Control Room) are configured to get the data from the Concentrator Output Streams that were configured in the Substation. Here, we also configured the Internal Subscription in the OpenPDC. After this process, I am trying to get the Automated Data Recovery with the help of OpenVis. But here, I am able to get the Data GAP (Data Lost) during the communication failure but unable to get the recovery of that data.

Please, help me to achieve the GAP Filling and suggest to me what is missing in my configuration and what is need to do more.

Thanks
Anil Yeduvanshi

I’m not sure I’m getting an accurate picture here. You’re throwing out terms and leaving out details too haphazardly. Here, consider the following data flow diagram based loosely on what I understood from your description.

Substation: PMU >>>C37.118>>> openPDC >>>GEP>>> openHistorian
                                                    V
                                                    V GEP with data gap recovery
                                                    V
Control Center:                                  openPDC >>>GEP>>> openHistorian >>> openVision
                                                    V
                                                    V C37.118 (this should be the ONLY Concentrator Output Stream that you configure)
                                                    V
Operations:                                       SCADA

This arrangement of systems allows for data gap filling between the substation and control center without any complex configuration requirements. You’d really just need to log into the Control Center’s openPDC and follow the instructions in the video to set up data gap filling in this scenario.

Does this help?

Hi… Stephen,

Please, look at attached screenshots with this discussion. Please suggest me what i need to do get the Gap Filling (Automated Data Recovery). I tried what you suggest me and i got this result as shown in the screenshots.

Thanks
Anil Yeduvanshi

Sorry, I had thought the openHistorian would be configured for historical playback out-of-the-box, but it seems I was mistaken. On the publisher system, you need to manually define a custom input adapter in order to support the temporal subscriptions used for data gap filling.

First, make sure you’re on the publisher system (the one at the substation in the diagram), launch openHistorian Manager, and go to Inputs > Manage Custom Inputs. Next, enter the following information.

Acronym: PPA_READER
Type: openHistorian 2.0 (Local)
Connection String: InstanceName=PPA; ConnectOnDemand=True
Enabled: Checked

Next, click the Save button and then Initialize. Finally, go to Monitoring > Graph Measurements. You should see a new set of controls used to create temporal subscriptions for historical playback. It looks like this.

If you do not see it, you may need to switch back and forth between the Home screen and Graph Measurements a few times for the system to recognize your new input adapter. You can use these controls to create a temporal subscription to test historical playback. If you can successfully establish historical playback on this screen in the Manager, your data gap filling should also be working as well.

Thanks,
Stephen